Please note the steps outlined below are for Harris County Public Health (HCPH) only. Steps for other providers may differ.
Step 1. What You Need to Know
- Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two doses. Moderna can be provided to individuals 18+ years of age. The Pfizer vaccine (ages 12+ years and up) or Johnson & Johnson (ages 18+ years and up). Learn more here.)
- Keep in mind that only certain dates will be available and that the current supply of vaccines may be limited.
- There is no charge for the vaccine or administration.
- The vaccine is free of charge.
Step 2. Making An Appointment
- Click on the Register Now link to go to HCPH's COVID-19 vaccine app.
- Follow the instructions on the app to register for the vaccine.
- Once your appointment is scheduled, you will receive a confirmation including QR code. You must bring your QR code with you to the scheduled appointment.
Step 3. Receiving Your Vaccine
If you do not have transportation for your vaccination appointment, please contact the HCPH Vaccine Hotline at 832-927-8787.
- When arriving to your scheduled appointment...
- Ensure you have your QR code for staff to scan. This can be printed out or a screenshot from your confirmation email.
- Follow signs and directions posted to navigate the vaccination site.
- If, for whatever reason, you are unable to make your appointment and must cancel, you will need to complete the registration process again. Canceled appointments will not be rescheduled.
Step 4. Scheduling Your Second Dose
Individuals can sign up and schedule instantly. Residents are encouraged to plan for their 2nd dose 3 weeks after their 1st dose. Learn more here.
Please remember, if you received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine you will need two doses. Upon completion of your scheduled first dose, you will receive a notification through text and/or email to schedule your 2nd dose closer to the date of your 2nd appointment. (Roughly 3 weeks) If there is no appointment availability, you will continue to receive notifications daily until you can sign up.
Step 5. Scheduling Your Booster Dose
Beginning October 27th, HCPH is providing Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson Booster doses across our vaccination sites. A booster dose is given when the immune response to an initial vaccine series (1st & 2nd doses) is likely to have decreased over time.
Moderna & Pfizer:
- Booster doses are available for people in certain groups who received 1st and 2nd doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least six (6) months ago
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings
Johnson & Johnson
- At this time, booster doses are available for those 18 years and older who received one (1) dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least two (2) months ago
For more information about COVID-19 Booster Doses and the latest updates, please refer to the CDC Website.