Harris County Summary
Harris County Public Health is working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Texas Department of State and Health Services and other health partners in monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and will promptly report any confirmed cases in our jurisdiction.
Our department receives daily updates from hospitals, medical facilities, and other health officials across Harris County as well as the City of Houston regarding testing, confirmed cases, and the development of COVID-19. For these updates, refer to the Harris County / Houston COVID-19 Cases Dashboard.
HCPH encourages residents to get tested for COVID-19 if you feel you have it or have been in contact with someone who tested positive. Take the Houston and Harris County Public Health self-assessment tool.
HCPH COVID-19 Outreach Information
HCPH is providing community education through digital materials, videos, and flyers. These are provided for personal use or may be used for your business and employees depending on the nature of the material.
Please email [email protected] for any educational materials.
*The Outreach email is NOT where residents can find their test results. If you need helping finding your test results, please call 832-927-7575.
What is COVID-19?
A new coronavirus (COVID-19) was detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China and is causing an outbreak of respiratory illness. The COVID-19 outbreak began in December 2019, and there are now millions of reported cases around the world, including the United States.
How do people become infected?
Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- Coughing and sneezing;
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands;
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands; and
- Rarely, fecal contamination.
In some cases, infected persons may not show symptoms or may have only mild symptoms. Learn more about the spread of this coronavirus that is causing COVID-19.
How can I avoid infection with COVID-19?
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
Are you interested in ways to help your community during this time? Learn more about COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities with the Harris County Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) here.