We have been granted funds from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to expand our work in the community to prevent COVID-19 and poor health outcomes. Our Community Health Workers (CHWs) engage with their fellow community members in the following ways:
- We partner with businesses and organizations to engage in public spaces such as grocery stores, bakeries, flea markets, health fairs, food distribution sites, schools, clinics, universities, and more!
- We distribute “Care Kits” which contain updated information on COVID-19, Mpox, Harris County Public Health programs and additional community resources. Our materials are available in English and Spanish.
In-Person and Virtual Presentations
We can provide presentations on any of the following topics in English or Spanish:
- Share current information on prevention, vaccines, testing and how to access available resources.
- Address community concerns around vaccine hesitancy and debunk myths and misinformation.
- Share what the disease is, how it spreads, who is at risk, prevention measures, and vaccine eligibility.
- Resource Navigation
- Promote our Connect Team, which is a resource navigation program that provides Harris County residents with application assistance to state and local benefit programs.
- Public Health 101
- What is Public Health? What does Harris County Public Health do?
Community Canvassing and Phone Calls
- We share crucial public health updates and additional community resources to community members where they live, learn, work, worship, and play, both in-person and over-the-phone.
Every other month, we share important public health updates and trends, upcoming opportunities for CHWs, and community resources in our Outreach Team Newsletter: Word on the Street. See our past Newsletters below!
- Newsletter 1 - English or Spanish : Word on the Street: Meet the Outreach team, HCPH Connect Program, Pediatric Vaccines, and the BA.5 COVID-19 Variant
- Newsletter 2 - English or Spanish: Word on the Street: Mpox, Community Resource Lists, and What to do if you test positive for COVID-19
- Newsletter 3 - English or Spanish: Word on the Street: Bivalent boosters, updated COVID-19 guidances, Vaccine & Testing resources, and Black Maternal Health Initiatives at HCPH
Subscribe to Word on the Street.
- HCPH is hosting a Community Health Worker Conference on Saturday, June 3, 2023! Click here to learn more or to register.
Quarterly CHW Workshops
- We host quarterly workshops led by CHWs for CHWs to have a shared learning space and platform to network, share experiences and strategies from various sectors, and gain exposure to new tools and resources for CHWs and the community members they serve.
We offer internship and volunteer opportunities to college/university students and CHWs interested in learning about the field of community health, outreach, and education. Our interns gain experience through outreach and engagement in the field, as well as in-office projects to collaboratively build out strategies for the team.
- If you’re interested in an internship or volunteer opportunity with The Outreach Team, please email your resume to Raquel Vela ([email protected]), the Intern Project Lead.