It is the law for all cats and dogs over three months of age and living in unincorporated Harris County to wear a Harris County license tag and to have a current rabies vaccination. Failure to comply may result in fines up to $500 per offense.
Map of Local Animal Control by County
If you are not sure that you live in unincorporated Harris County, you can enter your address on the secured Online Pet Licensing page and our system will check for you.
To license your pet, you will need the following information:
- Owner’s name, address, driver’s license number and owner’s date of birth
- Pet name, age, breed, color, weight
- Proof of rabies vaccination and/or spay/neuter (Records may be obtained from your veterinarian. You can scan or take a picture and send by email).
Three ways to license your pet:
- Online Pet Licensing
- In person at the shelter during regular business hours
- By Mail - Download the Pet License Application
After your application, payment and records are received, we will send your license tag by mail. You should receive your license tag in approximately seven business days. If you have purchased your pet license in person at the shelter, you are issued your license tags that day.
The license will not be issued until proof of current rabies vaccination and spay/neuter (if applicable) is submitted.
You can choose from the following methods of delivery for proof of current rabies vaccination:
- Email to: email@example.com
- Fax to: (281) 260-6403
- U.S. mail, addressed to: HCPH – VPH, 612 Canino Rd., Houston, TX 77076
What is the cost of a pet license and which type do I need?
Download the Pet License Application