Lead Hazard Control Program

A wall with faded, peeling paint

The Harris County Public Health (HCPH) Lead Hazard Control Program is committed to eliminating lead-based paint hazards in Harris County housing units. HCPH is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the Lead Hazard Control Program. The Program’s activities include:

  • Educating health care professionals and families of children about the hazards of lead poisoning and the methods of reducing the sources of lead
  • Conducting public education and outreach about the hazards of lead-based paint
  • Identifying and assessing housing units with lead-based paint hazards
  • Providing lead hazard reduction and relocation (when necessary) for families in housing units

Harris County Service Areas

All housing units must be located within the Harris County service area, which includes unincorporated Harris County and the following cities: Pasadena, Baytown, Bellaire, Deer Park, Galena Park, Humble, Jacinto City, Katy, LaPorte, Morgan’s Point, Seabrook, Shoreacres, South Houston, Tomball, Waller, Webster and West University Place.

Lead hazard control services are contracted with local firms that have experience in performing lead abatement work and that are certified by the Texas Department of State Health Services.

Lead Hazard Control Program Information

Currently, HCPH has $3.1 million to reduce lead-based paint hazards in 167 pre-1978 housing units. HCPH can also provide a Healthy Home Assessment and guidance on how this holistic approach can be beneficial to your family's health.

If you qualify for the program, all lead hazard reduction will be performed at no cost to you. To qualify for lead remediation, the property taxes on your home must be paid and current. And you must provide:

1. Income and employment information:

  • Two (2) months check stubs from your most recent place of employment
  • If self-employed, a copy of your most recent income tax return or an award letter or proof of social security income and social security benefits

2. Utility statements (bills from your water, light and/or gas provider)

3. Your social security number

4. Your driver's license or identification number

5. Two (2) months of bank statements from all financial institutions

For more information or for assistance on applying for this program, please contact us at 713.271-6374.

Lead Hazard Control Program Application

HCPH Lead Program – Application
HCPH Lead Program – How do I Qualify? (Bilingual) | PDF

Lead Regulations